The Realm of Edrae

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Journey to a world of wonder, where great evil lurks just below the surface.

4 posters

How to play. (UPDATED: PLEASE READ RECENT POST)

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

How to play. (UPDATED: PLEASE READ RECENT POST) Empty How to play. (UPDATED: PLEASE READ RECENT POST)

Post  Admin Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:27 pm

In my experience, PbP campaigns have been slow and uneventful. Players rarely ever level up or have even much of an "adventure," and are instead bogged down by waiting for others to post. For instance, the one that I'm currently a player hasn't even really passed the introduction phase and we started in April (that's four months).

I know this isn't the case for all PbP games, but to keep it going requires an incredibly dedicated player base.

It'd be selfish of me to ask that every player post several times a day consistently. Everyone has lives outside the internet, myself included, so instead I decided to combat this problem by adding a few new things to make PbP a little more enjoyable.

• Dice rolling will be done through INVISIBLE CASTLE. This site allows for multiple dice rolls and a lot more options than the standard forums.
    • EXP rewards for roleplaying, puzzle solving, etc. While I won't reward you for talking to a merchant about the weather, I will reward you for successful bartering with him, or having a lengthy conversation in which your character learns something new about the world.
    • All fights will be done with three rounds per post. Here's an example:

-------

Paladin McAwesomeness runs at the kobold, sword drawn. He attempts to slash at the creature's neck, hopefully lobbing its head clean off. If he's not successful, he then proceeds to stab at the enemy twice.

1d20 → [17] = (17) 1d20 → [11] = (11) 1d20 → [20] = (20)

1d10+3 → [4,3] = (7) 1d10+3 → [8,3] = (11)

DM (me): The first strike lands on the kobold, tearing its head from its shoulders. The decapitated body slumps forward, dead.

-------

Had the kobold not been decimated in the first round, his action would follow the first strike. Then the process would repeat.

I'm relying heavily on trusting you guys not to cheat on your dice rolls (since its entirely possible and hard to prevent in PbP). If I notice that your rolls are particularly suspicious, such as natural 20s every post...

Well... your character might have a hard time on their hands. Smile

That's it. Hope you guys have fun.

Last edited by Admin on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Demonbreun
    Demonbreun

How to play. (UPDATED: PLEASE READ RECENT POST) Empty Re: How to play. (UPDATED: PLEASE READ RECENT POST)

Post  Demonbreun Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:34 am

What might work better is if we just post the code for what our rolls would be (ie 3d6 or 1d20+5), and you can roll them on the website yourself, posting the results here along with the descriptions. That would be a good way to prevent players from questioning one another's results.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

How to play. (UPDATED: PLEASE READ RECENT POST) Empty Re: How to play. (UPDATED: PLEASE READ RECENT POST)

Post  Admin Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:26 am

Demonbreun wrote:What might work better is if we just post the code for what our rolls would be (ie 3d6 or 1d20+5), and you can roll them on the website yourself, posting the results here along with the descriptions. That would be a good way to prevent players from questioning one another's results.

Could do that, but I don't really like to take away a player's ability to roll dice just because trust issues.

I actually found a way to fix this problem, though.

From this point on I'd like everyone to register on Invisible Castle. This allows for players to roll dice with the option of choosing a campaign, which in turn allows me to see all dice rolls made.

The campaign name is Edrae, so fill that in every time you roll. I'd like everyone to make an account and roll a random dice under the campaign name "Edrae," (http://invisiblecastle.com/campaign/view/23743/) so I can see that everyone knows what's going on.

The account confirmation email showed up in my spam box for the site, so if you're wondering why a confirmation email hasn't come, check there too.

Thanks guys.

Corsario
    Corsario

How to play. (UPDATED: PLEASE READ RECENT POST) Empty Could not register at InvisibleCastle

Post  Corsario Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:35 am

Told me there was an error, will try later
    Demonbreun
    Demonbreun

Post  Demonbreun Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:25 am

I had the same issue. I'll try again later.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:44 am

Invisible Castle seems to have a lot of problems.

As such, I've added a dice roller to the forums that will roll dice after your post. Rolled a couple in this post to show how it works.

It can be easily exploited, unfortunately, so I'm hoping you guys won't take advantage of that.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:44 am

The member 'Admin' has done the following action : Roll dice

#1 '1d20' : 15, 1, 20

--------------------------------

#2 '1d10' : 9, 4, 4
    Corsario
    Corsario

Post  Corsario Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:29 pm

Testing a 3d6
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:29 pm

The member 'Corsario' has done the following action : Roll dice

#1 '1d6' : 2

#2 '1d6' : 2

#3 '1d6' : 1
    Corsario
    Corsario

Post  Corsario Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:31 pm

Seems broken to me Crying or Very sad A 5?!?!

Ok, good to go
    Estelli
    Estelli

Post  Estelli Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:33 pm

Corsario wrote:Seems broken to me Crying or Very sad A 5?!?!

Ok, good to go

Better to get the low rolls out of the picture right away :p

Trying it out for myself.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:33 pm

The member 'Estelli' has done the following action : Roll dice

#1 '1d20' : 7

#2 '1d6' : 1

#3 '1d20' : 13

#4 '1d8' : 3
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:07 pm

Bwahaha, such horrific rolls.

Guess it can't be as exploited as I once thought, since the admin always does the rolls.

Three 1d20s coming up.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:07 pm

The member 'Admin' has done the following action : Roll dice

'1d20' : 18, 18, 6
    Corsario
    Corsario

Post  Corsario Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Two 18 for the DM...

Figures.

Glup.... Shocked
    Demonbreun
    Demonbreun

Post  Demonbreun Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:19 am

Character attack! (2d6+2)

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:19 am

The member 'Demonbreun' has done the following action : Roll dice

'1d6' : 6, 4

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:07 am